Monday, March 23, 2009

The Orphan

We've had over 110 calves so far. Almost half way done... And that much closer to a full night's sleep.
On Saturday, we went to check cows, and noticed one that looked like she was calving. Upon closer inspection, she had leaned up against a hay pile, rolled too far, got stuck and died. Thinking that her calf hadn't delivered or she had rolled on top of it, we didn't hold out much hope finding it alive. Then a few cows moved and I noticed a little wet and shivering heifer trying to feed on anything and everything. We had found her calf! So we brought it to the barn, fed her and found a surrogate mother. I'm pleased to report she is doing well with her new mama and should be just fine!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! What a good story!

Anonymous said...

Wow do I ever remember the days of up several times during the night to hike out to the barn to check cows...oh wait still do that with real kidlets!!! Hope you are still having a blast.

Unknown said...

I love this story! thanks for sharing, Ang... so sweet :)

The Blog Fodder said...

I'm adding you to my must read. You talk about and post pictures of COWS. I am lonesome for real beef cows. Spocibo bolshoia.