Monday, October 11, 2010

Being Thankful

Today is Thanksgiving in Canada. I was washing the dishes thinking of everything I am thankful for. I'm always thankful for dishes because they are a great stress-relief tool for me, but I was doubly thankful today because it means I have food to eat, and a home to prepare that food in and keep me and my family safe from the elements.

Though it is not a complete list, here are a few of the things I am especially thankful for.

1) My husband - the Lord blessed me with a life partner that couldn't be more perfectly suited to me.
2) My son - the newest and brightest light in my life. As far as babies go, I think he's perfect.
3) My family - both the one I didn't choose and the one that I did. They are all a bunch of nuts and I wouldn't have it any other way.
4) My community - I'm surrounded by family and friends (some who are both). We live in this gorgeous corner of the world, nestled in among the trees and fields of gold. It's quiet, yet busy; peaceful yet ever-changing. If you're going to live in the country, it's just about the most perfect place to live.
4) My friends - the far-flung ones who have been friends since birth, and have helped shape me. Plus, who would have I have to stay with or visit when I travel? The near ones who provide a little extra spice in life, keep me from being a homebody, and are excellent parenting examples.
5) My job - I am so thankful I have a job. One that I love and could return to after such a long absence.
6) My church family - See community and friends. I'm not sure there are many places in the world where your immediate neighbours are your family/friends, and fellow believers.
7) The weather - it may seem silly to some, but here, the weather is paramount to everything. The last few years and months have been a challenge for everyone. But we've finally been blessed with a steady stretch of warm, sunny, windy weather so that the field work and harvest can go ahead. There is still lots to do, so we all need to pray for a little more.

1 comment:

The Blog Fodder said...

Dear girl, you have said it well and wonderfully. May you be able to write the same every year for as long as you live.
Thank you!