Friday, July 16, 2010

Swimming Lessons

I've become one of those parents that does crazy things to (for?) their kids. At only 8 1/2 months old, I enrolled my boy in swimming lessons for 2 weeks. At the lake. Most people who have kids in swimming lessons stay in campers at the lake for the 2 weeks. We don't have one, and you generally have to spend hours on the phone on March 1st to try and get a site... so I'm driving about 80 km round trip every day.
Obviously I've been more excited about going to the lake every day than Gauge, but I think he's catching on.
The first day was a bit of a no-go. I was told that his lesson would be around noon. So I showed up 10 mins. before noon only to find out that he should have been there at 11:30. Oops. I guess there is a list posted at the lake of when the lessons are, but I didn't know to check it beforehand. So we played in the lake a little bit then went home.
Day 2 was cold and cloudy, and we stayed home.
We showed up for day 3 really early and played on the beach and walked on the sand and tried to keep the sand out of someone's mouth. The water was still a little cool from the day before so we didn't make it too far in. Gauge desperately wanted to go and play with the other kids in his class but with each step that took him deeper, he would cringe and squeal a little. We spent a total of 5 mins in the water.

Day 4 was great. We were on time, walked down the beach and up to his chest before he started to make any protest. Being only 8 months, it's hard to get him to do any the things the teacher is teaching, or even play the games. But he loved being in the water and so close to the other kids.
Today is day 5. I think I'm going to try and get him to do some floats and maybe blow bubbles. He's so good at it out of water he should be able to in water right?

4 comments:

The Blog Fodder said...

Good for you. It is a good age to start swimming lessons! But in a lake? In central Saskatchewan?

RTAs said...

In my defense I picked the warmer of the 2 lakes that are within driving distance. Plus kids that learn in lakes are way stronger swimmers than pool swimmers.

Teacher Lady said...

How did day 5 go?

RTAs said...

Day 5 was awesome! He (we) played ring-around the rosie, front floated, back floated, splashed and generally had a good time. I'm looking forward to next week.