Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Not if I can help it

I hate looking like a tourist. Even though I am one, and my blonde head sticks out like a sore thumb in so many places. I would much rather appear confident when strutting around tourist traps, to avoid getting hoodwinked. I broke that internal rule twice tonight.
First, I went to Chinatown, bought souvenirs (not a big deal), except that I couldn't fit them in my bag. You see, one trick to not getting harassed by every stallholder, is to hide your purchases. oh well. Reasonably priced, Asian (Chinese) looking goods are better than the overpriced ones on Orchard Road that I can't afford.
Second, I bought fast food. Normally, I like to eat at hawker stalls, and on the street, because the food is 10 million times better. Tonight, in my haste to get to Chinatown before it got too late, I skipped supper. I wandered around a few stalls, but was so hungry, I couldn't decide. but I knew where to find easy-decision food. so here it is, 10pm, and I just finished BK. Not only did I have to walk 3 blocks with it, and all my Chinatown purchases. I then had to walk through my hotel carrying it, leaving that lingering smell.
2 more days of the show, 2 more evenings of fun, and then I'm back to Canada.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you find time and opportunity to have some "real" food while you're there. If you were determined not to look like a tourist, there is always hair dye. A little drastic, though. Look forward to more stories when you get back.
Motorcycle mama