Monday, October 29, 2007

Mind your peas and queues

Something funny happened on the way through customs when I started this trip. It should be a lesson to all us smart-mouths out there.
I was standing in the world's slowest line (because I always pick the slowest... thanks Murphy), just observing people. In the faster line next to me, some guy makes a inaudible, but obviously joking remark to the CBP officer walking by him. Next thing this poor guy knows, he's been hauled off to the side, and 2 officers are asking him a million questions, trying to ascertain why he chose to make a joke. They then take his passport, and tell him to sit tight while they take it off to some back room. This guy then spent the next 20 minutes looking quite sheepish, wondering if they were going to send him back to Canada. I am all for making jokes and being funny, but trying to make a funny while crossing the border into another country, bad idea.

Back to Ireland. I was treated to several early morning queues in my attempt to make my flight to NYC. First, the line up to get my pre-clearance customs sticker. Then the check-into-the-flight line. Then the security line. Then the pre-US customs clearance line. Of the 4 hours I gave myself to get to the airport, and checked in, I had a measly 10 minutes to spare before my flight boarded.

Once at JFK, I checked my extra bag, and headed for the train to Long Island. It was raining, so I didn't get to see much of the passing scenery. Once I reached my target station, I hopped off, and looked around for a place to sit and wait for my ride, due in about 45 minutes. BUT, she was early, and arrived 2 minutes before I did. How fortuitous!

Friday night we attended a honours band performance at one of the local private universities. My cousin's second daughter was playing the saxophone in the 3 state and university band. Very prestigious honour. For the parts I was awake for, it sounded really good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very witty title. Maybe it wasn't really an "inaudible" comment, considering the state of your hearing, since you heard it. Once again demonstrates the sobriety of customs/security officers. Do you think they would take a bribe to ease the way? Just joking. HA,HA

Motorcycle mama

Fibo said...

Nice Blog :)

Unknown said...

I was fully expecting some crazy pea comment due to your connection to legumes and the like... I can't believe I fell for that! :)

RTAs said...

I couldn't spell "peas" as "pees", that would be inappropriate ;) Do you remember how much I laughed at "Dingle"? I'm so juevenile.